This past month, many people I know have been making an effort to acknowledge the blessings in their lives. I found a trend on facebook in which you post one thing each day that you are particularly thankful for. I started this on November 6, when there were 18 days until Thanksgiving, and added one things to the list each day. Here is my list of things that I am thankful for:
18. I am thankful for my husband. I could go on and on about how much he means to me. Just having him, and knowing that he will always be there for me, shows me how blessed I am.
17. I am thankful that my goddaughter was born last night (11.6.11)! She is gorgeous and healthy, and it seems like the new mama and daddy are doing well.
16. I am thankful for the basic necessities: food, clothing, shelter. I'm sitting in my warm hotel room, eating dinner, while there are so many people who are hungry and homeless. Counting my blessings.
15. I am thankful for my family. They were so helpful and supportive during the wedding planning process. No matter what tries to tear us apart, it only makes us stronger.
14. I am thankful for my friends. All of the birthday messages were very much appreciated!
13. As it is Veterans' Day (11.11.11), I am thankful for all the men and women who have served, have given their lives, or are currently serving in our country's armed forces. They have fought for our freedom, and they deserve this country's appreciation more often than just one day a year.
12. I was unsure what I am seriously thankful for. Then, I thought about my day. I did laundry, watched a movie, and relaxed. So I am thankful for a quiet day with the luxuries that we all take for granted: washer/dryer in my own home, a tv and a dvd player, a couch to relax on.
11. After spending most of the day at work, I am thankful that I have a job. One that I enjoy, provides medical insurance, and earns me a paycheck to pay bills & put food on the table.
10. I am thankful that I scored some sweet deals at small businesses! I love to save money and support the local economy at the same time.
9. I am finding myself thankful for a multitude of things. I'll share just one right now: I am SO thankful that my travel season for work is OVER!
8. I am thankful for music. My life would be so quiet and boring without music. I just wish I could find more small businesses that sold contemporary cd's!
7. I am thankful for the simple luxury of having a dishwasher! It allows me more time to spend with my hubby... And it means that he'll clean up after dinner once a month or so.
6. I am thankful for Sweet Leaf sweet tea! I just found 15.5 oz cans at a local mart for 99 cents each! Sweet deal for organic tea! Ingredients: filtered water, organic cane sugar, organic black tea, and citric acid. However, I prefer the bottles, because there is no citric acid.
5. I am thankful that I inherited just a smidge of my mom's love for tea. The smell of tea leaves is simply therapeutic.
4. I am thankful that we finally have our wedding photo dvd! I am so excited to look through all of the photos.
3. I am reflecting back on 2011 and what a great year it has been. I am so thankful for this year's memories, and excited about next year's possibilities.
2. I am so thankful that my job allows me to be home for the holidays. I can spend Thanksgiving with my husband and our families. I also get a 5 day weekend!
1. I am thinking about all of the experiences I've had growing up, everything that has led me to where I am today. I am so thankful for the values I learned from my family, the quality education that my parents sacrificed much for, the love and fun times from my friends, and all of the lessons I have learned in the past 26 years.
Today, on Thanksgiving Day, I am thankful that our country has this tradition of taking the day off, spending time with family, and enjoying some good food. This is what our country needs more of: less work, more time to relax, and more time with our loved ones.
Please, everyone, have a safe and happy holiday, and cherish your family above all else!