Thursday, November 03, 2011

Our Honeymoon Cruise

My husband and I chose to go on a cruise for our honeymoon because I've never been on one, and he had only done it once before. We picked a 7-day journey that left from NYC, sailed down to Florida, and stopped at the Bahamas before sailing back home.

I've only posted 2 photos our honeymoon cruise so far (here and here), which is pretty sad, considering the hundreds I shot. My dad was nice enough to let me borrow his Nikon D90. That, plus the upgrade to a balcony room (from Jon's parents) and some pretty new dresses from my mom, seriously made this trip much better.

See, we sailed on August 27th, coincidentally the same day that Hurricane Irene blew up the East Coast and ravaged New England.

Hurricane winds + 8 to 12 foot ocean swells = no fun for anyone.

Honestly, though, we still had a great time! We were together for 7 days with no work, no interruptions, no chores, no laundry, no cooking, no responsibilities, no cell service. And not many couples can honestly say that their marriage vows (for better or for worse, in sickness and in health) were truly tested just one week after the wedding.

I put together my favorite photos and had them made into a photo book, and I also thought I'd share them here in some collages. I was going to try to put some descriptions under the photos, but there are too many words. So you get to enjoy the photos, and maybe someday I'll share the stories.






And while most people would get turned off from cruises after the experience we had, we know we want to do it again! We now know that we need to sail from a southern port, because many veteran cruisers told us that the waves in NYC ports are usually pretty rocky. We also want to avoid sailing on a ship that is "family-friendly," as there were always kids EVERYWHERE. Especially on the pool deck, which was definitely geared more towards children, what with the waterslide and all the N!ckolodean activities.

All in all, while it wasn't what we were expecting, it was our honeymoon. It was a learning experience! We thoroughly enjoyed each other's company and appreciated having that time to ourselves. And we wouldn't have it any other way.


2 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, it looks amazing! I've always wanted to do a cruise, but it isn't hubby's thing at all. Maybe I'll take my daughter at some point--she is the best traveler in my family besides me.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos, and a great tip about avoiding the family friendly ships ;)