Disclaimer: This is not my photo. I did not take it.
Copyright belongs to the original photographer:
My steps were somewhat complicated this time. First, I opened in pse8, resized the canvas, and stretched the left side. I cropped the canvas to cut off the uneven edges, and resaved. Then, I opened in LR3 to do some tweaking: increase warmth, decrease exposure, increase fill light A LOT, and increase blacks slightly. I also upped the clarity and vibrance a bit. I resaved again, and brought it back into pse8. I used Amanda Padgett's action to remove hot spots, ran Amy McMaster's Olive Juice Color (lots of tweaking), duplicated the background and smoothed out his face, and applied PW's Seventies at 50% (brushed softly off his face and eyes). I didn't apply any sharpening to his eyes, since they were slightly out of focus. Lastly, I finished off with a haze, a soft vignette, and some NR.
If you couldn't keep up with all of that, I'm sorry! I know that this much editing is time consuming, but I had this look in my head. Unfortunately, it took a lot of steps to accomplish. I am so happy with how it turned out. Too bad I can't write an action to do it all much faster.